I had a slight shock last night. An email with the edited version of the story I wrote last year for Trollzine #8.
The shock was the amount of red on the Word document showing the proposed changes. As a teacher, I associate that much red with a failed effort!
Actually, I felt most appreciative of the time the editor had spent on my short tale of a gnome bank clerk. I scanned the changes and saw that many fell into the class of 'minor' - eg which side of the verb you put the adverb.
I decided to let go.
Now I have two stories and the second is a collaboration. All my working life has been spent working that way so not such a giant leap for a man and certainly nothing to write home about for mankind.