Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thursday's Child Has Far To Go

I downloaded a browsed through the TOG new basic rules. Wow! You don't need a board and miniatures now. That's a step in the right direction. Too many rules, too many tables, too many reasons not to play. I looked hard for humour but couldn't find any... is it against the rules? Maybe it just washes over my head.

You need three games mechanics for a fantasy RPG: combat, saves and magic.

The bucket of dice plus saving roll stunts beats the 'you missed, he missed, I missed, they missed, we all missed, oh! I hit - lose 1 hit point' mechanic (I think).

You have to pile in a lot of modifiers to make that d20 perform the heroic deeds a pair of d6 turn out everyday (I think).

Wizards who can do bugger all are boring liabilities and spells with names that make you smile put plenty of gas in the tank (I think).

Oh well. Now we know and that's sorted.

1 comment:

  1. No humor?

    That's sad, when I remember the cartoons in the 1st Edition books. I guess humor is just not compatible with grand heroics these days.

    ReplyDelete